Unions around the Asia Pacific region have started putting into place Fiji
boycott strategies.

The Australian Council of Trade Unions (ACTU) has announced that transport
boycotts will be in place from today, targeting sea transport, air
transport and communication.

ACTU President Sharan Burrow said Australian unions were united in their
determination to support the democratically elected Government. "Australian
unions will do whatever we can to help our Fijian neighbours. Boycotts and
pickets will be applied until democracy is restored to Fiji." said Ms
Burrow. Australian Unions will also mount pickets at the Fiji Embassy in
Canberra.

The Asia Pacific Regional Organisation of the International Council of Free
Trade Unions  (ICFTU-APRO) has faxed the President of Fiji demanding the
safe release of all hostages.

The fax stated: "We pledge our full support to the Fiji Trades Union
Congress in their efforts to restore democracy, ensure respect for the Fiji
Constitution and defend the rights of the working people of Fiji... We call
upon you to immediately ensure the release of the hostages, the
reinstatement of the legitimate Government and the full respect of the Fiji
Constitution."

Messages of solidarity for the unions resisting the coup in Fiji should be
sent to:

Fiji Trade Union Congress
GPO Box 1418, Suva, Fiji
Tel: (67) 9 31 5377
Fax: (67) 9 30 0306
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Australian Council of Trade Unions
Trades Hall, 54 Victoria Street
Carlton South, Vic 3053 Australia
Tel: (61) 3 9663 5266
Fax: (61) 3 9663 8220
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web: www.actu.asn.au

ICFTU-APRO
Trade Union House
Level 3, Shenton Way, Singapore 0106
Tel: (65) 222 6294
Fax: (65) 221 7380
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Source:
ACTU (www.actu.asn.au)
Labor Council of NSW (www.labor.net.au)

***
Australia Asia Worker Links
PO Box 264 Fitzroy Victoria 3065 Australia
Tel: 03 9419 5045   Fax: 03 9416 2746
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]