Friends!
Several students have been suspended and even expelled for their
participation in the S11 protests. The Student Solidarity Group is
presenting an Open Letter (see below) to Victorian State Education Minister
Mary Delahunty this Friday. We are demanding that support the reinstatement
of victimised students.
ALL SCHOOL STUDENTS AND EVERYBODY ELSE INTERESTED SHOULD PLEASE ATTEND -
This Friday September 29th 1pm - Meet at steps of Parliament House, Spring
St to go to her office.
Also, email or phone us (0403 376369) us asap to get your name put on the
Open Letter.

If this action does not succeed we will call strikes at the schools
concerned in the short term.

Signed
Marco and Dave, for SSG
Both of us were forced to leave our schools for being at S11 (St Josephs,
North Melbourne)

Copy of Open Letter:
Open letter to Mary Delahunty, Minister of Education
Democracy for school students!

After S11 at least two school students have been expelled from their
school for using their democratic right to take part in the S11 protests
against the WEF in Melbourne. Many others have been suspended and
thousands threatened with reprimands by their principals. This is a
clear violation of the freedom of speech.
Just a few years back, principals were cheering school students
protesting and leading the struggle against Pauline Hanson's racist One
Nation party. Today, when students show their opposition to global
inequity and environmental destruction, they are not as open minded.
There is a proud tradition in Australia of fighting against oppression
and expressing your opinion. Freedom of speech is one of the pillars of
modern democracy and it is a disgrace that we once again have to fight
for that right.
The fact that young people care about the future should not be
oppressed, but encouraged.

We, the undersigned, demand that the Labor Government and Minister of
education, Mary Delahunty publically take a clear stand against these
undemocratic actions, and demand the cancellations of any expulsions or
suspensions, who mainly have been conducted by private schools. The
Government has a responsibility to defend the democratic rights school
students.

This letter will be handed to Mary Delahunty on Friday 29th, 1pm, at steps
of Parliament House, Spring St