I drill a 1/4" hole and use a cone point live center. Just use a board with a hole drilled to hold your live center secure and clamp it to the top of the existing tail stock. That will be one of those temporary fixes that become a permanent fixture in your shop.

Mike
OK

On 3/18/2010 11:33 PM, Tim Krause wrote:
Hi Curt,
Look again, it was 2.5" diameter on one end, 8 degrees total taper , 4 degrees per side (the max taper on a model 900). I don't know about the rest of you guys, but any angle past 2.5 degrees and my gears lock up and the adjustable arm starts to bend. Definitely want to see your offset jig. It reminds me of the mod Bill when he made his side cutting router. His tailstock was able to be offset to get a good taper going. I'll have to go look at that again. Hey Mike, my chopped legacy can go to 9 degrees (18 total) but the gears will not work at that extreme angle. That is why I thought about your universal joint idea. How do you hold the tailstock end?
Thanks guys,

    *From:* curt george <mailto:curtgeo...@wowway.com>
    *To:* legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
    <mailto:legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com>
    *Sent:* Thursday, March 18, 2010 5:34 PM
    *Subject:* Re: Tapered Barley twist revisited

    Hello Tim
    8" on one end and less than 1" on the other, Unless you have a
    straight bit 7" long cutting horizontally would not be possible.
    but I think It can be done.
    As you suggest cutting from the side and with the use of a
    template would work.
    How about thinking outside the box. (so to speak.) make a turning
    on the lathe, and then make an off-set on your legacy to hold the
    part straight so that you can turn the barley twist. I made an
    off-set jig a few years ago. it mounted to my table (my machine is
    mounted on a table, I do not have the leg set.)  the  live center
    was lowered so I could get the angle I needed.
    I will find my jig and take a picture tomorrow.
    I hope this idea helps?
    Its past my bed time.
    See you all latter. 03:30 tomorrow . ;-)
    C.A..G.