Hi

There is another way to go about this. I have been using wooden adjustment
knobs
for shop equipment that are made a bit differently.  First a hole is drilled in
the knob, or face plate. The hole is sized to the root diameter of the flats on
the nut. Then the nut is then pressed into the hole to make the knob, or in
this
case the face plate.  It is important to press, do not hammer, the nut home.
 Hammering will crush the wood fibers.  The pressed fit of the nut into the
wood
is exact and tight which eliminates the need for adhesive.  When pressed
together the wood fibers do not appear to be crushed.  I have been using hard
woods such as oak and walnut and am not sure of the holding power in soft
woods.  Also, I have a press for this job, but I have also used vice to seat
the
nut with excellent results.

I am curious about the face plate pictured.  As pictured, the nylon lock-ring
will engage the spindle before the threads.  Won’t that make the nut hard to
thread onto the spindle?

Coach