this might not be a popular idea but i thought I'd give it a try been
thinking about it, has any one considered going low tech with a linear
drive system a dc motor like a wiper or power window motor both have
gear reduction you could use the same control switch hooked to a foot
pedal have no limit switches and have the motor coupled to the lead
screw using a sprag or roller clutch so that when you got close to the
end you would turn it off and finish by hand the down side would be
you would have to loosen the split not to back it up. using the clutch
setup it would remove easily for times that you would not want it i
have been making balusters for a while now and my shoulders are
telling me that i should look for another way bob