  From: Dustin Yoder
  To: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2011 6:24 PM
  Subject: Build log of sorts for a 1200 upgrade to CNC

  I started my carriage upgrade today. I followed the adjustable gib strip
topic here on the group to make a few adjustments to the carriage. After the
changes, the carriage fit is a bit tighter and a bit harder to push along the
rails. The slider block I added to the back side of the carriage is just a
touch thick and it brought the round bumpers that run in the back rail to the
top of the channel--which is why I think it's a bit harder to push.

  So, did I actually accomplish anything? I think I did. I put the Z-axis back
on and locked down the X split nut and ran it up and down the rails a bit.
Turning the X leadscrew is really really smooth now. I've also noticed that I
can't detect any backlash in the split nut when I change directions. I'm not
saying that there isn't any there, but I am saying that I can't see it, which
is a bit better than it was. Before the upgrade, I had noticeable racking in
the carriage from the front rail to the back. While this was not eliminated, it
was reduced. Do you think I could improve my result if I add another rear
carriage slider and put them on each side of the carriage rather than having
one in the middle like I have now?