Bob,
What I would have done would be to place an angled table on the center bars. Set your fence on the table with stops. Now the cut orientation is parallel with the slide rails. Set the start and finish of the cuts with blocks on the top rails. Now with a simple flute style cut you will be able to make the left slant of the patterns and move the table and same degree the other way to make the right slant pattern. With this same table you could even use the wave instead of a straight line. How funky would that be?
Mike

On 7/21/2011 5:34 PM, BOB wrote:
that is exactly what i was shooting for except the sides had a bigger
border  for the rails (11/2" in from baluster)  i did not have a place
for the bit to run out i thought that the border would do any cleanup
that was needed the template was a big square piece of mdf that had a
diagonal 1/8 cut in it for the follower letting the router move
diagonally i used the older template follower so that i could use 3/4
mdf used a v-groove cutter set shallow did not foresee any problems
but it just did not work  consistently bob

On Jul 21, 4:44 pm, "Tim Krause"<artmarb...@comcast.net>  wrote:
So the pattern you where going for was like this?  Did you have a place for the
router bit to run out or where you trying to keep inside the border? That would
be really tough to do I would think.

I'm trying to follow your description for the follower.   Was the router moving
diagonally across the work ( both x and y axis in motion during the cut)?
That's something I've wanted to try for a while for another style of cut.

From: "BOB"<bandlels...@cqservices.com>
To: "Legacy Ornamental Mills"<legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2011 12:56 PM
Subject: Re: Carving Flat Work - Template Work

hey tim when i made my stair tread last spring i tried making a
diamond pattern in the middle of the tread about 11/2" in from all
four edges with a groove around the whole outside of it sounded easy
in the beginning cut a 45 in a piece of mdf 1/8 wide for the follower
flip it to go in both directions move it in x and keep on going i made
three of them and each time i would be almost done with it and
something would happen to put a wiggle in it although i did not call
it a wiggle at the time and finally gave up and focused on making
nicer balusters i don't know what went wrong i decided that it just
wasn't the legacy's strongest point

  cross_pattern.jpg
44KViewDownload