Tim, I'm running my X and Y at 50ipm and the Z and A at 20ipm; I hope
that's the right way to say it. The Z axis has been working great
today, so maybe I just found it's sweet spot.

Steve, I was going to go with limit switches when the time comes, but
I honestly don't know that I'll add them if all I do is issue commands
manually.

I worked on a 3" diameter by 4" long hexagon (on the end of a 32"
walnut 4x4) that I'm going to turn into an acorn nut for my project.
Clearly, you could see that the holding torque just wasn't enough as
the router ran across the y axis of the workpiece. I ended up
approaching the cut from the end of the workpiece toward the headstock
to make it work out ok. It took forever at .1" depth and 6 passes per
side at .25", but I did end up with a really nice hexagonal workpiece.
I took one final cleanup pass along the y axis to see what would
happen and the bit rotation was too much for the stepper and I got a
little bit of movement. Also, with this kind of gcode, you can really
see the weakness in the slide system as it changed directoins on the X
axis. There's visible racking in the carriage and it doesn't travel
completely smoothly. But, because I started each pass moving the bit
in the same direction, my finished piece looks great.

I've got a few more pieces to make on this table project, and I
suspect that I can get good results with the current setup. I'm really
trading time for some practical learning experience and some slowly
made pieces. I'm ok with that.