Rails? Helpful? Craft Supplies U S A. Then to Lathe Accessories. Then to Tool
Mule. Rails
From: Tim Krause
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 11:22 PM
To: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Furniture Maker Who Hoisting of Mills out of Way when not Using

I've been without email and the list actually got a little busy.  I've got over
200 emails to look through and 30+ need replies so I'm keeping it short.

The rails are custom and I know where it is made.  Setup cost is high and so is
a minimum run if one where to have the rail duplicated.  I don't think this
group alone could support the investment.  $24 a foot was the current price
this summer but the rail was not available for sale.  Besides, last I heard
Legacy backordered until spring or something ridiculous on the rail?

Regarding sag, it would seem to me adding a few more legs and supports would
solve the problem of sagging rails.  I've never had to deal with the problem
though.

80/20 also sells a uhmw linear slide option but the DIY-CNC has not caught onto
using them.  I think that fact alone says volumes about that possibility.
Using 80/20 as a bolt on base for real linear bearings would be an option but I
think one has to justify the cost of a bolt together solution and determine if
they are making financial sense.   One could attach supported rails and use
bearings like Legacy is on their current line of cnc machines.  It's going to
add up fast imho.

For those wanting to dream, IGUS, Pacific Bearing and Bishop Wisecarver all
have off the shelf linear slides suitable for the woodworking industry.

I've got more thoughts but I need to move on.