Hello Cole,

I'm fascinated by this topic, especially since we use machines that
are hard to keep down the dust--or suck up the dust.

I do know that every system puts a premium on saving the air in the
room.  Because we spend money heating and cooling air, it appears that
everyone wants to keep the same air and just remove the dust from it.
It's like the shop is an airplane with recirculating air.  We spend
thousands of dollars to do this in the name of saving the heating
bill.  My sense is that we put our health in second place over and
heating/cooling bills and saving energy.

It seems to me that if you put heath first, what you want is the
"used," dusty air out of your shop.  And given that with turning
machines we cannot capture the fine dust (not to mention the shavings)
as well as some others woodworkers, dust expulsion (from the shop)
should be the real priority.  Like everyone else, I "scrub" the air,
but I really want it replaced as much as possible.  Along with an air
exchanger, I lift the garage door and turn on the fan!!!!  Otherwise,
I really don't think it's safe to take off the mask.

Having said all this, I will check out Bill Pentz, too.  I'm simply
making a case for replacing as well as scrubbing the air.

Begat