Tim,

My experience was the same as yours.  I think Mike is onto something.
Do you remember the legacy "overhead" router that used wheels as hold
downs? I saw it in one the the postings that Curt made.  I just took a
look at the linear moudling table video.  They don't use any special
hold down whatsoever, but they do emphasize feeding the stock from the
headstock to the tail stock.

Begat