From: legacy-ornamental-mills+bnccplto5eecbdhsit6bboe07v...@googlegroups.com
[mailto:legacy-ornamental-mills+bncCPLto5eeCBDHsIT6BBoE07vLLg@googlegroups.c
om] On Behalf Of cpeel
Sent: 19 February 2012 15:42
To: Legacy Ornamental Mills
Subject: Re: z axix upgrade for 1800

Thanks guys for the info and the bit extension link.  I ordered a extension
from MLCS last week and it had way to much vibration.  There is an 1800 for
sale on ebay in New Hamphire with a z axix upgrade and thats the only photo
I have been able to locate to try and copy and build one,

 http://www.amazon.com/Router-Technologies-EX-2080-Professional/dp/B00...

> Since legacy no longer makes the Z axis upgrade, perhaps we can get
> Tim to design and make something better that does not rely on  the
> scare and expensive rails.  In fact, I think its time for a z-axis
> gantry that replaces the carriage and functions like a cnc Z axis.
> That would solve the depth problem and the measurement problem because
> it could be hooked to a wixey depth guage.
>
> What do you think, Tim?  The TK Gantry for the Legacy Ornamental
> Mill!!!
>
> Begat
>
> On Feb 19, 10:29 am, "Tim Krause" <artmarb...@comcast.net> wrote:
>

> > The z-axis is a pretty stable unit.  You gain enough travel in the
> > z-axis that you never have to raise the bed for short bits.  You
> > also gain visibility and easy access to the bits for changes.   You
> > loose the ability to make fast plunge cuts since the router is now
> > controlled by the z-axis screw.  I think people learning which way
> > to turn the screw but it's confusing in the beginning.  Another
> > thing is you have to buy a different style of router if you find a used
Legacy z-axis.

> > You can build one, the mechanical side is not that complicated.  You
> > can start from scratch and use some industrial components.  If you
> > want to use Legacy's components that might be a little more
> > difficult.  I'm hearing rumors that the aluminum rail is on
> > backorder or not available for sale at the moment.  Give them a call
> > and see if you can buy 4 top hat bearings and 48" of rail.  Then all
> > you need is some components laser cut, formed and machined.   From my
point of view, that's the easy part.

Z-axis.http://web.archive.org/web/20061026074809/http://legacywoodworking.co