From: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
[mailto:legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Tim Krause
Sent: Sunday, February 19, 2012 7:30 AM
To: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: z axix upgrade for 1800

The z-axis is a pretty stable unit.  You gain enough travel in the z-axis
that you never have to raise the bed for short bits.  You also gain
visibility and easy access to the bits for changes.   You loose the ability
to make fast plunge cuts since the router is now controlled by the z-axis
screw.  I think people learning which way to turn the screw but it's
confusing in the beginning.  Another thing is you have to buy a different
style of router if you find a used Legacy z-axis.

You can build one, the mechanical side is not that complicated.  You can
start from scratch and use some industrial components.  If you want to use
Legacy's components that might be a little more difficult.  I'm hearing
rumors that the aluminum rail is on backorder or not available for sale at
the moment.  Give them a call and see if you can buy 4 top hat bearings and
48" of rail.  Then all you need is some components laser cut, formed and
machined.   From my point of view, that's the easy part.

Here's Legacy's old page detailing the Z-axis.
http://web.archive.org/web/20061026074809/http://legacywoodworking.com/produ
cts.cfm?product=60