One correction, the drawing on the left of the picture is labeled incorrectly.
The travel was tailstock to headstock.

  From: Tim Krause
  To: Legacy-Ornamental-Mills@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 9:42 PM
  Subject: Creating spirals on the rotary table

  Hello All,

  The results are in.  I'm correct that you can change the direction of the
spiral depending if you start on the left side of the stock, or the center of
the stock.  I used my pen tool loaded in the router to prove this.  Both
examples shown below where made on my mill.  The carriage is continuing to move
from tailstock to headstock in both examples.  There is no need to change the
direction of the gears.

  Now I can say that there is a tiny bit of mechanical advantage for making the
spindle rotate clockwise.  This is continually tightening the handle onto the
spindle.  To drive the spindle, I just took the square drive handle and bolted
it to the spindle with the stock knob.  When I turned the handle counter
clockwise it wants to unscrew the knob which should be no surprise.  Since this
is a learning curve, I'm pointing it out.  Originally, I was also going to make
a custom handle that is locked to the drive gear but I'm not entirely sure it's
needed.

  There is a little cheat here,  I have not cut the gears yet.  I used a 1/16"
pitch setup for this test.

  I'm pretty encouraged that the possibility for spirals is there.  As for the
usefulness and the quality of that pattern that has yet to be seen.  I need to
really study the pitches and the varies bits that might make an interesting
pattern, or make this effort worthwhile.   At this point, I would like to know
what bits the members of this group think would be a useful profile.   My
original idea is pretty much limited to the cove bit.