perhaps a drawing or 2 of what you have in mind might make it a little clearer
  From: Tim Krause
  To: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2012 5:04 PM
  Subject: Re: Creating spirals on the rotary table

  I'm going to answer my own question because I think I'm wrong and right.  The
part about the spindle turning eight times and the travel being .375" per
rotation of the rotary table is correct.  The .046" is irrelevant.  I started
to look at this problem a different way. The leadscrew needs to turn 1.5 times
while the spindle is turning 8 times.  This would make the rotary table rotate
once and the carriage would advance 3/8" (1.5 turns time .25" lead equals
.375").  That's my goal.

  So, I just need a ratio of 5.333:1 to make this work.  How did I figure that
one out? I started by dividing the 8 spindle rotations by the required 1.5
rotations of the leadscrew.  Next, I made a spread sheet that found some
integer numbers I could work with for the gears.  By multiplying whole numbers
by the travel of the carriage per single spindle rotation ( .375/8 = .1875) I
found the first whole number that worked was 16 (16 *.1875 = 3).  That gave me
a 16:3 ratio that I could then break down into gear ratio combinations.  That's
the easy part to me.  The combo can be done with a 4:1 ratio on the leadscrew
and a 4:3 on the spindle.   My initial gear thought is 36 tooth on the spindle,
a 48/22 on an idler and a 88 on the leadscrew and whatever is need to space
things out correctly.  The 88/22 comes from the idea I can use my main drive
gear on the leadscrew.  Then I only need to cut 3 smaller gears.

  How many people am I losing here?  Honestly I'm lost, but I'm still moving
forward.  I'm sharing this because I really suck and math and I'm sure there is
a faster way to figure this stuff out.  What I will end up doing is cutting
some gears using my ratios above and then I will see what happens.  I do think
I'm on the right path.  Does anyone agree?