From: "curt george" <curtgeo...@wowway.com>
To: <legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: need help
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 20:09:33 -0400

Hello Gene (and everyone.)another idea would be to only make 10 spindle at a
time, and make each batch different. when all fifty are finished you will have
five sets of different spindles,By not make a pattern but, keeping the
uniformity, might make you a very nice stair case? I've seen this done in some
mid.1900's homes. the differences are, its strength. So who cares if you don't
get it right, as long at everything is uniformed you win! ;-)C.A.G.-----
Original Message ----- From: curt george To:
legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2012 6:02
PMSubject: Re: need help
Hello Gene I just got back in town. And it looks like this topic has died off.
(I have not read all the rest of the messages, but I do understand as least
some of the problems that you are running into.)These are just a few steps that
I use when turning lots of spindle at one time. Think of turning 50 spindles
like  tuning just one spindle. then its not so hard.  Make sure everything is
uniformed. cut "ALL" spindle at on time, first the Blanks,Cut all 50 (or more)
with your table saw, so that every blank is the same size and length.Then  each
   s egment or cuts on each spindlewill be done, one at a time.until all the
spindles are done, in that way every spindle will be exactly the same. If you
do not have enough drive hubs for all spindles then I would suggest to use a
four jaw chuck, or a jam chuck to hold each spindle. If  you can not cut all at
one time, then do a searies of them at a time. lest say (10per set.)  What
might help you out with this, would be to also make a story stick.A simple
peice of wood, set to the side of the machine, where you cut into the wood on
each point of the spindle, Basicly showing the profile and the deapth of of
cut, so that on the future spindle all that you need to do it align the cut
from the story stick and then move onto the spindle. ( Clear as mud... Right? )
;-) Its not that hard. (If I can do it, Anyone can do it!) I just takes a
little pratice that's all.Humans do not work like  CNCmachines So dont even try
do it that way.Lets put it this way.My Mom always told me, "You do one thing at
a time, You do it the best that you can, and then you move on." the same thing
goes for spindle work. ;-)"Well" That's Just my two cents worth of it.I wish
you luck.And Please keep us posted on the results.C.A.G.----- Original Message
----- From: regal...@juno.com To: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com Cc:
legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com Sent: Friday, October 19, 2012 9:38
PMSubject: need help

Does anybody know of a person near Culpeper,VA that would be willing to teach
me how to use my Legacy mill.  Bought it on ebay about
5 months ago, made improvements but don't know how to use it.  Need to know
price per hour, day or what.  ASAP
Thanks
Gene