Hi Begat,

Something is off about that machine being sold as a model 900.  The legs have
holes instead of the stair step guides.  The tailstock appears to have the
screw type lock instead of the clamp type.  The brackets for the x-axis lead
screw, drive hub, all the plastic knobs, adjustable arm, and index pin are from
the older machines.  I wonder if we are looking at a first generation 900?  As
the official/un-official historian of model changes, this one is a puzzler!

On the plus side, parts of the new style template follower is shown and there
are two longer rails on the bench that might be the vertical bench vise.  It's
hard to see in the photos.  I don't see any gears in the photos.

Ah, mystery solved.  In one of my manuals, the title page of the 900 assembly
instructions is showing a similar picture of this machine.  On the following
assembly instructions, it shows pictures of the updated legs.  My other manual
shows a picture of the model 400 and 900 side by side.  The model 400 has the
screw type lock and the old style index pin and drive hub.  This machine did
not come with spiral capabilities or any leadscrews, but could be upgraded.

The 900 had the cam lock on the tailstock and the new 4 leaf clover drive hub.
It also shows it had the small teeth (180 tooth) on the main gear where the
newer 900's have the larger tooth (88 tooth).  All the parts shown in the
photos are from the early machines.  This machine was the start of the newer
style top hat style bearings on all of the rails.  Another odd item is the
split nut is turned upside down on the x-axis.  This is how it's shown in the
photo on Craigslist.

Having said all of that, what I think we are really seeing is an updated model
400.  It's still a good deal if the gears are there.