@john and curtis...need to clarify some things...i have seen what the
legacy can do, other than turning work and fluting, reeding,spiraling,
etc....planing, dovetailing,etc,etc...it is an impressive machine...but i
do have a complete woodworking shop with some equipment that works very
well for our needs...some include 18" planer(spiral head),16"
jointer(spiral head,this was an upgrade),sliding panel table
saw,etc.etc..20-30 pieces(i lost count...LOL)...some very unique and
specialized...and a very large oliver pattern makers lathe(think metal
lathe, but used for woodworking)...so i would not use a legacy for
planing(my planer produces glass like surfaces), or dovetailing or
traditional turning work(the oliver has an 8ft. duplicator permanently
mounted on the backside)...point being i don't ever see using a second
carriage on my extended legacy...i now have a 11ft twist lathe(it is not a
legacy) and it is very rare that we ever have to make a second, deeper cut
with a router bit...one pass and it is done...that could change, if we got
a job that required secondary passes,but so far have not had to do
that...now the problem of supporting thin stock is a big issue...we solved
it on our other machine by making cradles...two are used when doing an 11ft
piece...i am thinking two will also work if doing a 15ft piece on my new
legacy...but i feel i want to support from the bed, not some type of
follower rest on the one carriage or a second carriage...the supports will
be designed in such a way to accommodate the range of diameters we use, and
once set properly(i.e. that the router bit cutting point is set to the
center of ,not only the headstock and tailstock, but also the center of the
cradle supports), we will never need to adjust them again...not an easy
task to design and make, but we have a similiar piece already, it just
needs to be rededigned a bit...point being, i do not plan on using the
carriages for this purpose...but all good ideas...i might re-think my
approach to some things...so, anyone out there need the cnc upgrade for
their legacy?...let me know...again, thanks for the input and please keep
the info coming...joe biunno