It would appear that he didn't trust the tail stock or he could compensate for different stock lengths by clamping the tail travel at different positions. Sometimes 1/16" difference in pressure can really show up in a project.

Mike
OK

On 9/18/2013 2:49 PM, Jeff Becker wrote:

I think his tail stock is upside down, but his has a knob on it that mine does not, I was trying to figure the purpose of that knob.

Jeff Becker

*From:*legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com [mailto:legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com] *On Behalf Of *mwfos...@earthlink.net
*Sent:* Wednesday, September 18, 2013 12:41 PM
*To:* legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
*Subject:* Re: 1800 for $3K in Hickory NC

Joe,

Like you mentioned earlier - the price a LOM will bring is dependent on its location AND the location of folks that are SERIOUSLY interested in it. If one or two interested folks live w/in 100 miles - seller will "score" with a higher price. On the other hand, if seller is out in the middle of a "woodworker desert" (Odessa, TX?) - they will find they have to lower their expectations. There will be exceptions, but I think it is like lots of other things that get sold (houses, land, etc.) - it is all about "Location" relative to the buyers. I would have thought there'd be folks in NC interested.

While we are looking at this Mod 1800, I have a question. I have a Mod 1000 and the tailstock is not installed like it is on this Mod 1800. (Mine looks like his - just attached to side rails with "open" side down.) Look at pictures 6 and 7 of 17. Has the owner installed that red tailstock piece upside down? (Or is mine upside down?) If his is upside down - what is the reason? Advantage? Perhaps I may need to flip mine - how about yours?