From: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
[mailto:legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
jwb...@windstream.net
Sent: Wednesday, 5 February 2014 9:19 PM
To: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
Cc: ronkir...@aol.com
Subject: Re: CNC Bowls

I am wondering what it is you plan to use the CNC with making the bowl?

The CNC works great with inlay, but with that you will have the radius of the
router bit in the corners (Smallest I have used is 1/16 ) by the looks of the
bowls it almost looks like you used a set up with a ring master then glued
everything together, and you could cut circles with the CNC but the would not
be at an angle.  cutting the outside of the bowl will be possible with the CNC
but I do not see how it could cut the inside, you would still need a lath for
that

Jeff Becker

---- ronkir...@aol.com wrote:
> Hi All
> I haven't been involved with the group in quite awhile. I attended
> Andy's CNC lecture at the Baltimore woodworker show. I was very
> impressed with  the capabilities of CNC and VCarePro/Aspire software.
> The software is very user friendly.
>  I wanted to ask the CNC people in the group if they every made a
> segmented bowl using CNC capabilities.
> I make segmented bowls because with solid bowls a lot of the wood
> lies on the floor in the form of shavings. I use a lot  of expensive
> woods therefore shavings has to be at a minimum. The  other reason for
> segmenting is the various designs one can incorporate in the  bowl
> rings. I have attached pictures of a few of the bowls I've made and
> turned on my Shopsmith. These bowls are 14 1/2" in diameter and 9
> 3/4"deep. One could add a ring at a time and turn each ring and
> continue  this process until the top ring is added and turn. Or one
> could add all the  rings and turn the assembled bowl at once. In
> either case the  capability to handle a 14 1/2"' diameter and depth of
> 9 3/4" would be  required. I looked into using the manual Legacy ( I
> have a
> 1000EX) to make  the rings. I would have to have the ring mounted on
> the rotary and rotate  below the lower rails. However, the height of
> the feature ring ( the  one with the complex design at the center of
> the bowl ) is around 2 1/2" to  3". The only way I could do it was to have
> taller elevation legs.
> Legacy doesn't  make them anymore. Now with CNC mounted in a gantry
> one could turn a ring  at least at 14 1/2" or greater. The circular
> cutting can be performed with  small advances in x,y for greater accuracy. Or
> will a rotary
> table still   be required to get a smooth surface? By the way if I were to
> get
> CNC, bowl making would not be my only reason. What is the limitation
> on the Z axis travel with the gantry?( What is the deepest bowl that
> could be turned). I would be interested in your comments.
> Regards,
> Ron  K.

-----
No virus found in this message.