Perhaps a adjustable brake pad of some sort would take care of that curt

Bill

From: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
[mailto:legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of CURTIS GEORGE
Sent: Saturday, 1 March 2014 11:29 AM
To: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: linear bearing system upgrade for a legacy machine

Hello Joe

I also looked at there bearing sets in the past. I Agree with you that it looks
very nice. The only concern that I have is the Linear bearings them self's, as
far as to much freedom, climb milling would be pretty scarry stuff , Perhaps a
break of some kind could be used to keep control of the carriage? I guess what
we need is a smooth movement but movement that we can control when we need it.

Just my two cents worth of it here.

I like I said Ive been looking into the same idea.  Im not sold on the bearing
yet, but I do argee that its a step in the right direction.

Have a good night.

C.A.G.

  _____

begat had provided a link to a linear bearing set up in a recent thread and i
thought i would share a system that i am seriously considering as an upgrade to
my extended bed machine...there is a you tube video
...........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKjPfyuxCXg   ...........which shows
a low profile linear bearing system that is very compact...has a load capacity
of 110 lbs...aluminum and steel construction...built in adjustment capability
to pre-load the bearings...and sealed bearings... there web site is also very
detailed and
informative.............http://www.pbclinear.com/UGA-Low-Profile-Uni-Guide-Linear-Slide
  ....... basically, as i have laid out the install, their rail(which is only 1
7/16" wide), would mount on top of the legacy rail using the legacy sliding
t-nut pieces...their carriage is only 3" deep(front to back on the legacy) X 3
1/2" wide(left to right)...each carriage has 4 ball bearings, for a total of
16(total of 4 carriages)...there is a chance that the rail could be mounted
slightly off center on top of the legacy rail,cut the carriage a bit to reduce
the depth and you would possibly not need to modify the legacy, z-axis base...a
couple of screws to attach the z-axis to the top of the carriages and you are
done...the rail and carriage would only raise the z-axis 3/4", so a simple
re-mount of the legacy split nut is all that is needed...seems simple enough
with very little modification to the the legacy...i have requested a sample of
the rail and one carriage which the company was kind enough to send me at no
charge( i believe the do this for any potential customer, so send them a
request and they will send you a free sample).........now the fun part... what
does it cost?...carriages are $150.00 each, so that is a total of $600.00...the
rail comes in 10 ft. lengths and costs $262.00 per length...so if you doing a
5ft, machine one length will do...anything longer and you need to buy two
lengths...so a 1500 legacy would be in the range of $1200.00 to do this
upgrade...worth it?...i would think so, especially if the install is as easy as
i might have laid out...i might have some concerns when doing twist work on
longer capacity legacy machines(especially mine!), the friction and drag the
carriage will cause( from those black "top hats") could put a lot of stress on
the headstock gears, the gear motor, lead screw bearings and other parts...and
also the chance of the the carriage "chattering" is a big concern as well...but
the bearing install would moslt likely eliminate any chattering...i would think
this eliminates the need for any dyna glide or other lubricant sprayed on the
rails...i get my sample next week and i'll know more after doing a mock
up...anyone out there have any opinions or suggestions...all would be
appreciated...thanks...joe

  _____

No virus found in this message.

No virus found in this message.