Hi Cole and Bill,

I don't like the looks of the triple roped pen myself.  I think I like the
idea of a double roped so it forms a little bead wrapped around the pen. I
wonder why I don't see more polygon shaped pens with a dash of tear-drop
flutes or super tiny reeds.  Jerry Beal came out with the Pen Wizard three
or so years ago and yet I don't see non-round pens anywhere.  One could
argue the tool costs too much but I see it as pennies for what it can do.
Isn't that why we bought our machines?  Based on dreams and what we can do,
but what we DO in the end is a different story :-)

I once read in a pen makers forum that the twisted pens where not that
successful compared to standard pens.  I never got to see any example of the
pens and that was just a coupe sellers opinions.  I wondered how they where
presented. Here's a little story from my life of selling treenware.

I made 50 units of a product that generally sells for $25 - $30 all day long
using my legacy and not one of them where round.  I sold them for $35 or
more on ebay and they where selling as I produced them.  Now granted I have
a name in the trinket field which helped, but I sold them with the idea that
it's not the shape that you see that any turner makes.  Mine are original,
one of a kind, and limited availability.   So I don't know if it was my
name, the pitch, or simply the fact they where different, but I do know they
left my door with a %100 percent guarantee and none ever came back.

Moral of the story, if you're in the craft field you do have educate the
customer and as I call it, "Sell the Story".  It means more cash per unit
but often less sales because the price point is higher.  It beats making
widgets at a quarter a piece, but I'll admit to making widgets to pay the
bills as well.  Those too can be lucrative.

I still wonder if a single or double start Barley pen has ever been made and
how it feels.