  From: 'joe biunno' via Legacy Ornamental Mills
  To: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2014 10:44 AM
  Subject: Re: indexing accessory completed

  okay, i must be missing something here...is everyone assuming that to achieve
a certain number of indexes( let's say, 5, for example), you set up your gears
to produce a 5 pitch?...that seems to be what i am seeing in everyone's
post...but what if you want a 7 1/2" pitch, with 12 cuts/indexes?...the leads
crew method does not work in that instance...and as tim pointed out, you can do
the "eyeball" thing when you do have an index that just does not work with the
pitch method, but what i have laid out eliminates all of that...pick any pitch
you want, choose any number of cuts that will best suit the diameter of your
workpiece, choose the router bit that will produce the desired cut and away you
go...this goes back to what i had mentioned before of which way to produce a
piece...do you start with the router bit and work forward or do start with the
design/drawing and proceed from there...we have always begun from a drawing,
calculate the pitch( or use the pitch that is the closest to the desired
pitch), determine the number of cuts, then find,make or modify a router bit to
suite the job at hand...when you are doing your own piece, whether it is for a
piece of furniture(like a leg,for example) or perhaps a walking sticking,
certainly you can tweak the design whatever is necessary to suit the indexing
method...but the grizzly indexer simplifies making all those
decisions...although i can see it being a bit pricey, especially if you bought
a legacy for $1200...$300 for an indexer(not counting your labor) can be
illogical...but not if you are running a business,which i am...and @
tim...definitely getting a headache reading the last part of your
post...LOL!...if i had to go into the shop and start explaining those numbers
to the men, i would certainly get "this guy is nuts" kind of
reactions...LOL...looking forward to anyone's suggestions,ideas,comments,
etc....many thanks...joe