I bought my Legacy 1200 used from a guy in New Jersey. The Z-Axis battery that was in the caliper when I bought it was an alkaline LR44 model which is 1.5 volts. I see that the silver oxide 357 (SR44) has a voltage of 1.55V but an usable life about 5 times of the LR44.

The Legacy documentation that I received from the seller did not address which battery is recommended... or perhaps I missed seeing it.

My questions is two fold:

1. Which battery is mostly used by those individuals with Z-axis capability. I realize that different models may exist of the caliper design.

2. Do you feel that the two batteries mentioned above are interchangeable... meaning it makes no difference performance/accuracy wise or damage wise.

I am interested in peoples experiences and what they are typically using. I know that some caliper on/off switches control only the display and the mechanism still pulls juice even when it is turned off... I have not checked to see if this is true with the Legacy Z-axis caliper or not.

I need to pick up some more batteries so this prompted my question.

thanks
Thomas