I haven’t used carbide before in turning wood I have heard they don’t leave as
good a finish as HSS is that true

Bill

From: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
[mailto:legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of CURTIS GEORGE
Sent: Friday, 22 August 2014 8:06 AM
To: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Revo Owners

Thanks Roger. that's kind of you to say so. ;-)

As far as EasyTools goes. dont mind those snobs. yes good tool handling is
important, but what is the most important thing is, what do you feel conferable
with, that really counts.

I met an Amish wood turners that used a squarish piece of metal that he said
that he found in a junk pile... by turning that square tool he could do some
amazing things with it, he could shear, scrape and boar out wood better on the
lathe, than most turners that I have met, and he only used one tool.

My only gripe with Easy Tools is the price. (I know, Big surprise there! ) ;-P
Nice looking stuff that is until you look at the dollar amount/ price tag.. For
me the Skew is the tool that I am tring to master at this min. but I have no
problems with the carbide turning. to each there own, After all its the turner
that makes the art, not the tools. and a good tool will always make the job
easier. Just look at the Legacy, when roping... Just try that on a lathe. ..;-)

Have a good night.

C.A.G.

  _____

Hi Cole

As usual Curtis comes up with an excellent response, the way forward is just to
keep on trying because at the end of the day it is just a piece of wood and
unlike on a lathe it is not spinning at 2,000 rpm.

Also remember you are not the first to experience this feeling, I am going
through a similar situation. For the 16 plus years I have had at least one wood
turning lathe, it reached a total of four earlier this year but it is now back
to two but due to business commitments I have had very little time to turn
during that time.  Now in the last few years I have been selling Easy Wood
Tools and they are carbide tipped tools that are very easy to use when it comes
to wood turning www.easywoodtools.com As a result I have been using them when I
had time to turn and they do work. I however belong to a wood turning club with
a high percentage of professional turners, at least 30%, but we have less than
30 members and professionals tend to look down on this type of tooling so I
have decided to get up to speed with conventional gouges. Guess what, I use any
piece of timber I can get my hands and just keep on practicing and I am making
progress. Perfection takes time and boy do you need to put in lots of practice
unless you are a pure genius!

So keep at it and remember, if it falls apart then stick it back together with
a nice modern adhesive which are generally stronger than the original wood.

And now for a few hours of therapeutic hedge trimming.

Radar Roger