I got a broken model 1000 from Ebay about a year ago.  After getting parts
from Legacy to make it functional and 6 months of looking at it, reading
the books, and your emails, I sat down to try making something.

It was just a maple budvase based on the spiral candlestick pattern.  The
only variation from the one in the project book was that it was 1.25”
diameter spiral to accommodate an 11/16” x 6” hole down the center to hold
a glass tube.

Both the first and second attempts were learning experiences.

Trial #1 - I used the bottom flattener and turned it round.  NO problems.  I
thought this was a great tool.  Much faster and easier then doing it on the
lathe.  I started using a ¾” roundover bit with 6 starts and the D gear
according to the charts.  Worked beautifully for the first 4 inches when
the nut on the gears slipped and it stopped spinning.  I tightened the nut,
went back to the beginning of that line and started again.  At the end of
the run, I put the stop in place and moved the carriage by ¾”.  On the
third spiral, I turned the handle the wrong way and learned to use the stop
at the bottom as well as the top.  I fixed this later by turning the tendon
for the base right up to the bottom of the spiral rather then have a bead
at the bottom as I intended.  The rest of the turning was fantastic.  I
ended up with a great piece that was only a little different from what I
had wanted.  The only issues were 3 small brown places where the router bit
burnt the wood and the one area where I had a 1” long groove going straight
up the side.  I was estatic and wanted to make one with no errors (or at
least not such an obvious one).

Trial #2 – Turned round and did the bud top with no problems.  Put the
roundover bit in and started making the bottom ring groove.  Bit was really
leaving burnt marks on it and I thought I must be going too slow.    I
started up the spirals and kept getting burn marks no matter how fast or
slow I went.  I did the 6 spirals and the upper ring but could already tell
something was off.  The bottom of the groove was very ragged with lots of
tear out and there was a burn mark on both sides of the groove about half
way up.  Then I noticed that I had six perfectly placed spirals at the
bottom and 5 spirals at the top (3 expected size and 2 equally fat ones).  I
looked at it a little more and found that it has somehow jumped over to
join two spirals together.  Not sure how that happened as I had learned my
lesson and had put the locks on the upper screw as well.  Also, the edges
of the spirals were almost scalloped rather then smooth like trial #1.

My questions are:

1: What did I do that caused the burning/scalloping/tear out?  To my eye,
the bit looks fine if a little blackened (magnate ½” shank #7502) and it
preformed great on the previous trial.  I am using a Porter Cable 690
router in the plunge bracket with an Eliminator Chuck.

2: What could have caused it to jump so as to make the spirals join
together and how can I avoid that happening again?

3: How fast should I be progressing (inches/min) with the bit?  Is there an
optimum speed?

4: When using a sharp pointed bit like this, should I have made a shallow
cut first then come back with a full depth cut?  Are these sharp pointed
router bits more liable to “follow the grain” the way a sharp pointed drill
bit will when going into the end of a piece of wood?

5: When I was doing the bottom flattener, I was turning the handles pretty
much in unison (1 revolution each in a CCW direction, about 4-5
seconds/turn).  This fed the uncut wood into the bottom of the bit and
advanced at a rate of about 0.25”/turn.  It looked to me like it was
handling the cutting fine.  Is this about right or was this too fast?  The
Legacy motor (that I was not using) turns faster then this.

6: How do you sand these things?

7: Is there anyone in the Gaithersburg, Maryland/Washington DC area that is
experienced that I could come watch turn something for an afternoon? (I’ll
provide a 6-pack of your choice for the privilege.)

A little background.  I am pretty experienced at building and remodeling
houses, metal working, stained glass, and am getting pretty good with a
lathe but I have little experience with band saws, routers, or furniture
making in general.  My goal is to make a union of lathe work, LOM, metal
working, and stain glass and see what can come out of it.

Steve