From: "'joe biunno' via Legacy Ornamental Mills"
<legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com>
To: "Legacy Ornamental Mills" <legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2015 4:46:47 PM
Subject: Re: Diamonds and Pearls.

here is some bead work we have done in the past...most often, we will buy or
cast ourselves(rubber molds, resin material), lengths of beading(usually about
12" long and half round) in the diameter necessary for the job and then glue
into channels made on the legacy...this seems to be the most cost effective
method...the beading we buy can be steamed a bit, and it then becomes flexible
enough to easily conform to any shape...when the beading tapers from a small
diameter to a larger diameter, it is necessary to just hand carve the
beads...can't seem to get around that...the photos show some samples from our
showroom...the poles are 2" in diameter, grooves cut on the legacy, beading
glued in place...the diamond pattern on the one pole has decorative brass nail
heads set in place where the points intersect...plain round nail heads can be
used in place of the decorative ones at a very inexpensive cost...there is
quite a selection of designs from the nail head source, so you can really go
wild here in accenting your turnings...the finials have some simple beading set
into a groove and the one finial has some tapering beads that were hand
carved...we have a set of bead cutters that we made from various diameter spade
drill bits, so long as the bit had a 1/4" diameter shank so we could mount it
into a router...we first cut down the length of the bit for safety reasons...we
then ground out the end of the bit to a half round shape and the desired
diameter...this allows us to put one bead next to the other, and thus a
string-of-beads effect...the diameter of the bit will dictate the diameter of
the bead...and the bit will only have one cutting edge, as it would be near
impossible to think that the bit could be sharpened to the point of having two
cutting edges...but one edge seems all that is necessary to do the job, as it
is just a kiss cut...joe