Regarding Magnate bits and where they are made, all carbide bits are made in
the  USA.  The rest are made in Taiwan using C3 carbide.  Numbers only matter
to me when I'm trying to communicate what I used in the group :-).

  From: MWF
  To: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Friday, December 04, 2015 10:37 AM
  Subject: Re: New Members and Moderation

  Ernesto,
  IMHO you can't go wrong with Whiteside bits.  They don't make too many that
are useful on the LOM - but if they have one that will achieve your result, I'd
get it.  The one company that actually makes bits for the Legacy Mill is
Magnate.  A number of their LOM bits are plunge-style ones - which are what you
may use the most with your mill.  Their bits are also very good.

  Personally, I BUY AMERICAN whenever I can - so if Whiteside makes a
style/size bit I need, I buy from them.  I do not know where the Magnate bits
are made - but I suspect they are off-shore (from the US) produced.  Perhaps
someone in The Group knows where they are made.

  Another comment:  It IRKS THE S--- out of me when a router bit is not marked
with its brand and model #.  Whiteside marks their bits with BOTH.  My Magnate
bits only have the brand etched on them - not their model #.  I HATE THAT!!!
  Am I the only Group member that feels this way about my router bits?  I'm
interested in knowing.  Hopefully the Magnate folks will see this thread and
tool up to add Model #s on their bits.
  Have a Wonderful Weekend!

turned my first cylindrical piece. Also did some simple shape routing, to get a
feel for the set up. I look forward to implementing some of your great mods.
Expecially the dust management mods.
    >Our shop is loaded with most general woodworking machinery, table saw,
lathe, band saw, radial arm saw, and of course work benches.
    >Otto, my boss is a brilliant stone and glass sculptor. Which he had been
doing for the last 20 years. He has been bit by the wood bug and is ready to
explore a new material. I am not an expert woodworker, yet, though I am Otto's
main source of information.
    >We are making simple, organic, sculptured furniture pieces. Nothing too
complex.
    >First question for you guys: we are shaping, mainly locally sourced
mesquite wood. Mesquite is incredibly hard, approximately 4 times harder than
maple or oak! What type of bits should we get that will give us the best life
span? Or that can be sharpened? Any thoughts?