Does anyone have an extra index spindle for a 1000/1500EX they would like
to sell?

I bought this machine second hand many years ago and never had any reason
to remove the headstock until I got curious enough to attempt another
learning experience. Well, not surprisingly, the headstock is stuck in the
index spindle. After researching the internet for viable solutions, all
were tried with no success. After trying to insert a small steel rod
followed by a threaded bolt to push the headstock out, I did manage to get
the steel rod stuck…and it’s still stuck! This is not a problem since I can
still use the headstock as it did not budge, I just can’t go on to bigger
and better things.

So, of course, my next step was to contact Legacy and get a new index
spindle. After about a dozen calls and left messages, I finally made
contact with Cindy Anderson. I explained my situation and she said no
problem, the current spindles for their CNC machines will fit my machine.
Fantastic! Well, the problem is…it DOES NOT fit my machine. So, back to
square one. Again, after many attempts with no response back I just gave up
on Legacy. It’s that type of customer service, or lack thereof, that loses
potential CNC customers like me…for good.

I don’t have pics or measurements of the spindle, but it has two Delrin
washers that are held in place with spring clips. My other thought was to
find a machinist, who works independently or on the side, to just make the
spindle as it is a simple part and shouldn’t be too expensive. I’ve asked
around a bit here and there but can’t seem to find anyone in my area. And I
think going to a larger machine shop, even for a simple part, would be a
bit pricey.

So, does anyone here have an extra spindle they are willing to part with?
Or, does anyone have another possible solution? I am open to all
information, suggestions, and advice.

Thanks,

Lou