From: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
[mailto:legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Lou Lossi
Sent: Tuesday, 31 January 2017 6:46 AM
To: Legacy Ornamental Mills
Subject: Index Spindle for 1000/1500EX

Does anyone have an extra index spindle for a 1000/1500EX they would like to
sell?

I bought this machine second hand many years ago and never had any reason to
remove the headstock until I got curious enough to attempt another learning
experience. Well, not surprisingly, the headstock is stuck in the index
spindle. After researching the internet for viable solutions, all were tried
with no success. After trying to insert a small steel rod followed by a
threaded bolt to push the headstock out, I did manage to get the steel rod
stuck…and it’s still stuck! This is not a problem since I can still use the
headstock as it did not budge, I just can’t go on to bigger and better things.

So, of course, my next step was to contact Legacy and get a new index spindle.
After about a dozen calls and left messages, I finally made contact with Cindy
Anderson. I explained my situation and she said no problem, the current
spindles for their CNC machines will fit my machine. Fantastic! Well, the
problem is…it DOES NOT fit my machine. So, back to square one. Again, after
many attempts with no response back I just gave up on Legacy. It’s that type of
customer service, or lack thereof, that loses potential CNC customers like
me…for good.

I don’t have pics or measurements of the spindle, but it has two Delrin washers
that are held in place with spring clips. My other thought was to find a
machinist, who works independently or on the side, to just make the spindle as
it is a simple part and shouldn’t be too expensive. I’ve asked around a bit
here and there but can’t seem to find anyone in my area. And I think going to a
larger machine shop, even for a simple part, would be a bit pricey.

So, does anyone here have an extra spindle they are willing to part with? Or,
does anyone have another possible solution? I am open to all information,
suggestions, and advice.

Thanks,

Lou