I installed a Z axis last year after having used a plunge router
previously.  For me once you work out the bugs with the Z-axis, namely the
poorly designed stock depth stop, I really like it.  The increased view of
your work is the best part.  Also given how the Z-axis, (and the router)
are positioned I find myself using the motor drive a lot more.  To me it
was worth the cost and effort, as a woodworking hobbyist it's about
enjoying yourself, the Z-axis adds to that experience.