I have to agree with Bill on this one.  A better solution is to use a 1"
locking collar with a dowel pin that mates to your chuck.  For example part 801
on this page.

http://lignolathe.com/en/face_plate_system/index.htm

The collar gives the chuck a place to seat and the lock collar prevents the
chuck from un-winding.

Further reference:  http://ornamentalmills.com/tips/spindle_shoulder/index.html