Your runout results are interesting.  YMMV (your mileage may vary).   My only
concern about using a set screw for the average Joe, is that a cup point is
used.  The holding power would be excellent, but it will damage the spindle by
biting into the spindle.  A small circle is embossed in the steel.  I would
hate to do that to any spindle that I own.  Choosing a brass or nylon or flat
tipped set screw would prevent marking.  Like you say, there are several
solutions to this.