many thanks Tracy... this kind of "experienced" info is just not easily
attainable... probably could be gotten from taking some Legacy classes, but
not sure if there older programs are still in their teaching sessions...
anyway, many thanks... and I would much rather keep this conversation here,
in the group, as I might think a lot of members are interested in CNC, but
are in a similar situation like I am, which is, not computer savvy... and I
hope I am not being presumptuous in making that statement... a lot of
talented people in this group in regards to using their Legacy equipment,
but to then transfer that usage to a computer program/code is a bit
overwhelming for me... and as a side note, I wish my CNC equipment was the
type that utilized the rack and pinion that Legacy came out with after
their initial jump into the CNC world... the job I just completed had a
total run of 5,400 inches(450 ft.) along the X axis and I am not happy with
the wear on the split nut, the wear on my gears and the wear on the bronze
bushings in the center of the gear... most likely will need an upgrade to a
ball bearing to replace the bronze gear... a CNC would solve a lot of those
wear issues, especially if it was a rack and pinion... even if it was not a
R&P and simply the Legacy lead screw, the X axis travel would be cut in
half... but for now, I have to work with what I have it set up for, totally
manual usage... and your previous experience in the IT field, I am sure
helped you quite a bit in almost self-teaching yourself how to use the
machine in the CNC mode... personally, I don't prescribe to the idea of
using the Legacy to do straight forward turning work that was traditionally
done on a wood lathe... granted, I have the luxury of having a very large
lathe at my disposal, so I use the Legacy to do nothing but decorative
milling cuts on a pre-turned work piece... I do remember seeing those
photos you previously posted and the work was excellent... so assuming you
did the turning with the CNC, I find it impressive, nice job!... anyway,
let's see if any other members can chime in on this topic, whether they
have CNC experience or not... again, thanks for taking your time to
explain, it is appreciated... Joe B.