Bill,
Have you tried "renewing" the kitty litter. By that i mean taking it out
and drying it in an oven or some other hot space? Chem labs use desiccant
to draw the moisture out of samples and it turns from blue to pink when it
has absorbed moisture. You can then put the desiccant in an oven to dry it
out and re-use the crystals.