Wes,

I did a conversion to CNC on a legacy 1200 with steppers. I have nema23
387oz. steppers and a 6:1 gear reduction on the Z and rotary axis, and a
straight coupling on the X and Y. The setup is adequate on X,Y and Z, but
the rotary axis needs a lot more torque. I haven't looked into what the
most powerful nema23 motor that can be run on a Gecko 540 is, but that's
what I would try next.

My video from years ago doesn't yet have the gear reductions, but it shows
some of the setup. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlQ46e3gwiA. Next time I
fire it up, I'll try to shoot a new video for the groups' benefit.

Dustin