As a quick explanation, The Big E is short for Eastern States Exposition and is
a large country fair type event held in Springfield Massachusetts for a couple
weeks in late September into early October each year. During the rest of the
year, the fairgrounds are used for other types of events, including “the
woodworking shows”.

Jeff from Connecticut