They definately are interesting.  I have a never used one still with
original packaging/box in my workshop.  I was going to extend distance
between centers to use it, but the limitations in working distance are
because of the wire drum that is used to move the sled.  without a major
re-construct you are limited to about 28in of working length which is a
problem for my primary intended use. That is what has me considering a
legacy mill.