I remember that mod of yours well Dan

Bill

From: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
<legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of cdkr...@gmail.com
Sent: Saturday, September 23, 2023 12:12 AM
To: Legacy Ornamental Mills <legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Thread cutting target reached!

Some time ago I had a series of posts about that index gear mounting
modification.

  I made a special bushing that allows the index gear to spin freely.  At the
outboard

end of the bushing is a flat holding the index arm secured to the lathe
spindle.  You'll

 notice (if you have a REVO) that here the index gear runs on the OUTSIDE
duplex

gear and the "change rotation" idler runs on the INSIDE duplex gear, "inside
out" to

the original. This was necessary because of the space the bushing takes up.
This

allows me to index any number of starts (up to 24) on a work piece with
confident

repeatable accuracy. The method of limiting starts to the relationship between
cutter and

circumference chafed me. Yes, there is still a loose relationship needed to
create

attractive profiles but this eliminates that calculation and makes repeat
passes

accurate, useful when all the passes are done and some touchup is needed. If

profile passes are stacked, this assures that the subsequent passes are
perfectly

aligned with the previous, or can predictably be offset. Me thinks it opens up

creative design possibilities that might otherwise be kinda sketchy.

For example, if I want to create some form of checkering, this makes it
trivial.

If the index gear is restored to it's original position on the lathe spindle
without

the bushing, it goes back to factory original where the factory index pin is
usable.

I found the video that explains it
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pRAFDnFUQBSPXMCgvlafoLpx7D6LaDC-/view?usp=sharing>
 , and reposted it.  It will come down soon because I use

the space for other things.

DanK