Yes, that does look good in wood.  And it feels good in the hand.
One can "get a grip" without discomfort. A very very good grip.
And I believe, based on the threads I was able to cut before the
plastic gear broke, it will be quite clean.  For the checkering work, a
special bit may have to be made (or bought) but I've made so
many of them that I find it trivial. The trick is to get a super fine
point that still cuts.

I have some ideas to sort through for high count indexing
options and a strong contender is emerging.  If I can solve one
minor convenience issue, then I'll see what the hive mind thinks.
DanK