Curt, you did a pretty clever thing to get indexing and gears to work
together.
Thank you for the reminder and suggestion, but I had already addressed that
issue. Your design uses the same principles, so a vernier could be adapted
your setup by making a new arm to hold the vernier scale and pin. I like
your
setup because everything is locked in it's place without the risk I have of
friction slipping.

If you add more holes and a new vernier arm (with a loose pin like a
spindexer)
you could address any number of divisions without further modifications.
A 72 hole ring minimum diameter is about 6".  A 10 hole vernier arm needs
to be about 3 3/4" broad, and thick enough to hold the loose pin without
wobble. You could address all divisions without having different index
plates.

You may recall that some time ago I made a modification to the index gear
mount so that it turns freely on the lathe spindle shaft while an index arm
that is secured to the lathe spindle shaft (by very tight bolt friction)
engages
the holes on the index plate. I referenced that situation in a recent
previous
post, noting that if this mod isn't made, this vernier thing isn't going to
work
I made a two piece bushing to make this happen.This allows me to make as
many starts as an index ring will permit using whatever cutter I choose.
For all but the most demanding spirals, I do not have to calculate
circumference vs cutter diameter, and never have to move the frame to

Now, the high counts of checkering indexing motivated the special vernier
setup.
Checkering a cylinder does require a very tight relationship between
circumference and number of starts. Cutter diameter is irrelevant, but DOC
is because that effectively changes the diameter and thus the circumference
by 2X the DOC. DOC is tiny, but has a significant impact on field coverage
and sharpness of diamond points.

DanK