You are quite right about geo database not being as accurate outside the USA.  The problem is not in the method but in the content of the database.  The geo database concept is not limited to the USA.  If that database were regularly updated (as I stated), it would eventually become more valuable for all locations worldwide.  Also, updates would correct erroneous data that is currently in the database such that a full file compare against it would show locations that were previously considered correct but are no longer valid.  Again, these kind of errors would diminish over time if the geo database was updated regularly.  Every location can be spelled and punctuated correctly as well as adjusted for time sensitivity regardless of language or its point on the globe.  It may not be possible in the short run but we should begin the process such that it will happen in a future version.  Even the ideas of the core and core plus locations have improved and standardized many data sets.  We all know that a merge will be more likely when the various pieces considered for duplicates are similar and the location fields are key elements in determining those matches.

Ron Taylor

Legacy User Group guidelines can be found at: http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Etiquette.asp

To find past messages, please go to our searchable archives at: http://www.mail-archive.com/legacyusergroup@legacyfamilytree.com/

For online technical support, please visit http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Help.asp