On 05/08/06, Henry McFadden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<SNIP>
 But then I'd have to move thousands of Mac/Mc, O', Ui, Ni etc. etc.
 I'd push for it if moving pre-entered prefixes could be automated.
</SNIP>

Sorry, I'm only coming in late on this, as I've been away from my
computer for a few days.

Just to point out to you, Henry, that the Irish (and Scottish) parts
of names which you mentioned (Mac/Mc, O', Ui, Ni, Etc.) are not
generally considered Surname Prefixes, but are rather part of the
surname itself.

For example, my surname is McGlone (sometimes written "Mc Glone" i.e.,
with a space).  This is an anglicised version of my name in Irish (or
Gaelic), which is "Mac Giolla Eoin", translated as "The Son of the
servant of John".  My surname, however, is *NEVER* "Glone".  The "Mc"
part is the anglicised version of "Mac", which is the Irish (or
Gaelic) word for son (of), but it's definitely part of the surname.

If a surname prefix field was added to Legacy, I'm sure it would be
useful for many people, but just to be aware that Irish surnames would
not fall into this category.

Regards,

Dermot.