The fact that those files are "in use" probably is related to the difficulty you had closing Legacy. Have you tried starting your computer in Safe Mode and deleting the files from there? if you rapidly tap the F8 key when Windows is starting it should give you a menu, one choice is Safe mode. A handy mode when windows will not let you delete files, especially drivers etc for removed hardware. Windows starts with a minimal set of drivers and services so files taht would normally be "in use" are free to delete.

Brian
Customer Support
Millennia Corporation
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com

We are changing the world of genealogy!

When replying to this message, please include all previous correspondence.
Thanks.


Patricia Hickin wrote:
I have been unable to open Legacy on my laptop yesterday and today (had a problem closing it a couple days ago; I suppose that's what started the problem).

So I went online and it seemed to me that what I need to do is to "completely uninstall Legacy."

(Before doing any of this I ran my fully updated anti-virus and anti-spyware programs and both reported "no errors.")

So I have followed the online instructions from the Legacy OnLine help site and done the uninstall. Now I am at the stage that says > from My Computer, open C:\Legacy [folder], which I've done.

It says to "delete all the files but not any of the folders." There were several dozen files and I deleted ALL of them easily EXCEPT for 3 files, which I could not delete. One had no extension but had the Legacy shield as the icon. The other two were Legacy.ldb and Legacy.lng. The computer refused to delete any of the three, saying that they were open, perhaps being used by another user, etc.

Well, I had not opened them, and nobody else was using them, but I closed the C drive and My Computer, and I shut the computer down to Restart, and tried again.

I was still unable to delete any of these 3 files.

So can somebody tell me either
1) That it's OK to leave them and install on top of them -- or wherever.
OR
2) How to get rid of them?

I don't know why it's telling me they're open when I have not opened them!

Thanks SO much for any help.

Pat H.


Legacy User Group guidelines can be found at: http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Etiquette.asp

To find past messages, please go to our searchable archives at: http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/

For online technical support, please visit http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Help.asp

To unsubscribe please visit: http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/LegacyLists.asp





Legacy User Group guidelines can be found at: 
http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Etiquette.asp

To find past messages, please go to our searchable archives at: 
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/

For online technical support, please visit 
http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Help.asp

To unsubscribe please visit: http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/LegacyLists.asp


Reply via email to