Diane,

I have numerous areas where a relative lived in a rural area in a township. I always state it as you did below; i.e., Fairfield Township, Fayette County, Iowa. By the way I was raised in Fayette County! Stating it in this fashion leaves no doubt as to what specifically is meant. I was taught (by an LDS mentor) to use ", Fayette County, Iowa" when the location within the county is unknown (the space-comma delineates a missing entry.) Also ", , New York" when only the state is known.

Kay

----- Original Message ----- From: "Diane Murach" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 20, 2006 3:36 PM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] additional location data

I'm interested in the correct practice regarding the following:

If entering a township, do you write township after to distinguish it from a town? Fairfield Township, Fayette County, Iowa Do you write the word county after a county name to make it clear one is naming a county? Ex Seattle, King County, Washington If you only know the county, do you use county, then state? Ex Allen County, Ohio Does one normally include the town, township, county, state, if all are known?

I see many trees on Ancestry and it is quite confusing when one doesn't take the extra time to clarify, example Clinton, New York. Clinton is a county and also a city in a Oneida County in New York.

Diane