-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Kirsten
Bowman
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2006 2:06 AM
To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Subject: [LegacyUG] Colonies, Provinces and Territories

How do you handle colonies, provinces and territories in Legacy's location
fields?  Is "country" the ultimate *governing* body or the geographical
location?  What is the country designation for the (now) US state of
Georgia, for example, prior to 1776?  Do you put the colony name in the
state position and "New England" in the country field?  "Georgia, New
England" sounds silly and probably isn't technically correct either, since
there was no real governing body for all 13 colonies other than the
British
Parliament.  Each colony was actually on the "province" level, so what
goes
in the country field?

My current headache is "Canada" prior to 1867 (before that designation was
adopted).  I can cope with the changes from Upper Canada to Canada West to
Ontario, but those are province names.  What goes in the country field?
After 1867, "Ontario, Canada" is a no-brainer, but what about Upper Canada
and Canada West?

What do others do?

Kirsten

To unsubscribe please visit: