I can't offer any help on resolving this issue, but I just wanted to
mention that a couple of years ago, after dragging and dropping people
from one database to another, using split screen view, I had the same
thing happen with families being scrambled and duplicates appearing. I
was horrified to find the errors. I had to revert to a backup and try
again; this time without difficulty.

So Anne, you are not the only one this has happened to.

Jennifer





-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Cathy
Sent: Friday, 22 September 2006 7:35 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Merge has corrupted database

Hi Anne,

If you've that much mess then you need to revert to your backup and 
try again. If you don't have a backup you have a big checking and 
linking and unlinking job ahead of you.

It seems unlikely to me that Legacy made these links. It sounds like 
the type of thing you could get when you are learning and 
inadvertently click where you shouldn't.
The process normally creates second marriages until you complete the 
merging but not linking to unrelated children.

Cathy


At 04:37 PM 22/09/2006, you wrote:

>Hi Cathy,
>thanks for your suggestions. I did do a merge duplicates after 
>importing. the trouble is the way that Legacy had a heartattack and 
>linked people with different surnames.
>When I did the merge, I added a branch of a family that was not 
>linked to any other family in my database.
>Legacy has added 'children into families with different surnames, 
>added a second spouse to other individuals who only married once, 
>and linked existing people in my database to some of the added 
>children again with completely different surnames.
>As I said before people are listed twice in the index, once as 
>should be and a second time linked to some one different.
>I am afraid that if I do a merge duplicates it will further mess up 
>the links between families that are not directly connected. I am 
>also relucant to delete individuals incase it deletes someone it
shouldn't.
>I did file maintance but it made no difference.
>Anne Eccles
>
>
>>It sounds as if you added people to your file but didn't go through 
>>the whole merge process by checking for duplicates.
>>
>>You can merge people like Agnes manually
>>with Tools > Merge - Manual Merge
>>I think Manual merge concludes with suggesting those in the 
>>immediate family that may also be duplicates - it's awhile since I've
done one.
>>
>>or check your whole file with
>>Merge - Find Duplicates.
>>
>>>Hi
>>>I have recently done several merges in Legacy and have just found 
>>>that it has corrupted my information.
>>>I did the merge thru split screen and then drag and drop 
>>>individuals and family who were matching people.
>>>Today I have found duplicate or triplicate entries for people in 
>>>the index view.
>>>for example
>>>Stuart, Agnes 1851 no spouse
>>>Stuart, Agnes 1851 spouses name.
>>>when I click on the the first Agnes to go to family view the 
>>>family view is for a completely different person with different 
>>>spouse and children.
>>>Does anyboby have any ideas on the best way to fix my problem.
>>>thanks
>>>Anne Eccles
>>>in a Sunny and warm NSW







Legacy User Group guidelines can be found at: 
http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Etiquette.asp

To find past messages, please go to our searchable archives at: 
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/

For online technical support, please visit 
http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Help.asp

To unsubscribe please visit: http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/LegacyLists.asp


Reply via email to