I have Legacy 6.0.0.110.
This is complicated.
I am trying to find out how to get the source to post to the right field
without using the source clipboard.

To be specific--

(Let's say I am entering a bunch of info for a bunch of different people
who are already in my database.  Most of the new info is from a single
source, a good genealogy book, which I have on put on the clipboard. NO
PROBLEM THERE.)

So I'm getting ready to enter info for Jane Doe, who is already in my
database from an old gedcome import, and the only info I have is her name.
 The only info in the genie book is marriage info.

I want to enter her dob, which I'm picking up from a census that is
already in my Master Source list.

I do not anticipate that I will use this Census source again in the near
future, so  I don't want to bother putting it on my source clipboard.

So to put in the birthdate, I go to Jane Doe's edit screen, and put my
cursor in the Born field and then click the source icon (the three books).

That takes me to the Assigned Sources screen, but it highlights the
"Unspecified Events line" which cites my gedcom import. I do have the
option of moving to the Name field (for which I have a different
citation), but the Assigned Sources screen offers no option for entering a
source for a "Born" or "Birth" field!??

So when I select the Census source and add it, it is added to the
citations for the "Unspecified Events" field or to the
citations for the "Name" field.  THAT'S IT! !!??

OR -- I can put the Census on the Source clipboard.  Then when I'm on the
Edit screen and  put my cursor in the Birth field and then click on the
mark at the left to post that source to that particular event (Born) and
then check it out on the Assigned Sources screen, I see that the program
has added a "Birth" Event and put in the Census source.

SO-MY FIRST QUESTION is -- How can I get Legacy to add the Birth field
into the Assigned Sources so that I can add a source without going thru
the Clipboard routine??

ALSO, What REALLY scares me is this -- I began using Legacy MONTHS ago and
din't use the source clipboard for sometime.  In the meantime I assumed
the sources I was citing were going in the fields I was clicking on.

But now I don't know!!  Is this a NEW bug?  Or has Legacy behaved this way
all along??  And what on earth can I do to be sure the facts and sources
are correctly matched??  It will take me weeks on end to go back and
verify everything.