A couple of years ago I decided to develop a tool for uniform source entry. The first method tried was screen shots of the sources that were to be "the standard." The problem with them was that not all text showed on the screen (without scrolling to the right) in some of the boxes; i.e., the Source List Name and the Source Detail Information. Hence, the screen shots did not capture all of the text. I then resorted to templates developed in MS Word -- more work initially but they work well for me. There are examples of each type of source - US Census, State Census, Canadian Census, Vital Record, Vital Records from a Book, and so on.

Question: Do you have a method for capturing all of the text without making more than one screen shot of a given source?

Kay Fordham

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lance" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com>
Sent: Friday, October 13, 2006 11:28 PM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Screen Shots

There are a number of screen capture utilities available - free and
shareware. Windows users though have a basic built-in screen capture
utility all ready to use with a couple of keystrokes.

To capture the full screen, just press the PRT SCR key (to the right
of the F12 key in the top row). This will copy the full desktop view
to the Windows clipboard. From there it can be pasted into any imaging
software (MS Paint for example). MS Word or any other application
which accept pasting.

To capture the uppermost screen you have open, press the ALT key along
with the PRT SCR key. Again, you can then paste it into an imaging
application. In there it can be edited or have text added to explain
what it is about.

Here is another free one: Mirek's Free Windows Software
http://www.mirekw.com/winfreeware/mwsnap.html

For anyone who dose a considerable amount of screen capturing, Snagit
is probably the ultimate tool in the shareware field:
SnagIt Screen Capture - Capture and Share Your PC Screen
http://www.techsmith.com/snagit.asp

If you would like an illustrated, printed guide, there is available
for download a .DOC file here:
http://lpc1.clpccd.cc.ca.us/lpc/dfields/HowTos/print_screen_worksheet.doc

Lance