Hi Jon,

All children have fathers even if they are unknown.

You cannot add a child in Legacy without adding a "marriage"
The father does not need to be added. You can choose in Options > Customise to leave unknown fathers <blank> (Data format tab: Word for blank records)

Your choice is to add all three out-of-wedlock children to the same unknown father (which you will probably prefer) OR to 3 different unknowns. If you do the latter, currently you'll have relationship problems with the relationship calculator. The children show as 1st cousins to one another, rather than as half-siblings and they won't all show when you choose to view 1/2 kids in Family View.
This is a known and recorded bug of long standing.

It is often easier to add the child as an unlinked individual and then link them to the relevant "marriage".

Hope that helps,
Cathy